Last weekend I was beyond snarky. I pulled a cardboard box from the recycling and headed (stomped) to my basement studio. I needed paint on my hands and in my hair and to get the hell away from people…all people. Thanks to the late Ric Ocasek, these lyrics capture what I was feeling.
The Cars, Just What I Needed
I don’t mind you comin’ here
And wastin’ all my time, time
‘Cause when you’re standin’ oh so near
I kinda lose my mind, yeah
I settled down after some time creating—always good for everyone in my orbit. The Butterfly Effect of creativity I suppose. Here are the results of my efforts.
I prefer to be foolish when I feel like it, and be accountable to nobody.
― Willa Cather, My Ántonia
Nobody has ever measured, not even poets, how much the heart can hold. —Zelda Fitzgerald
You have been chosen, and you must therefore use such strength and heart and wits as you have. —J. R. R. Tolkien
- curiosity: marked by desire to investigate and learn
- listening: to hear something with thoughtful attention, give consideration
- empathy: the action of understanding, being aware of, being sensitive to, and vicariously experiencing the feelings, thoughts, and experience of another
- compassion: sympathetic consciousness of others’ distress
- courage: mental or moral strength to persevere, and withstand danger, fear, or difficulty
- cooperation: to act or work with another or others, act together
- sisterhood: the solidarity of women based on shared conditions, experiences, or concerns
- leadership: a capacity to lead
When curious, compassionate, and courageous women of all different races, colors, creeds, religious, and national origins serve in leadership roles from the corner office to the front porch—every aspect of American life appears to benefit.
I love to see a young girl go out and grab the world by the lapels. Life’s a bitch. You’ve got to go out and kick ass.
NOTE: Tonight on your local PBS station you can watch Timothy Greenfield-Sanders documentary—Maya Angelou: The Pieces I Am. https://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters/